Friday, December 22, 2006

Only in Phoenix: Hatred of downtown and the urban life

What is wrong with some people in Phoenix? Why do they despise downtown (and probably, city life in general)?

Having a moribund downtown Phoenix doesn't help our region. Lots of talented people who would help us build a better city choose to live elsewhere because of our lack of urban life. I know this for a fact because a lot of those people are my friends-- many of them Phoenix natives.

What confounds me about the attitude of the letter writer above, and many others, is that this isn't an either/or situation. Dozens of American cities have strong downtowns and strong suburbs. The Phoenix area has the suburban part down pretty well, and now it would benefit by giving the large number of people who would like an urban experience a CHOICE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think many people actually hate downtown, but some fear it -- perhaps due to negative memories of declining downtowns in their cities of origin. Of course, many downtowns in other parts of the country have rebounded nicely, so some people are clinging to outdated impressions.

As for the letter of the Republic, I think it reflects disdain for Talton more than anything else. I support a strong urban core, but I always felt that Talton undermined the cause with his incessant, exaggerated negativity.