Wednesday, October 01, 2008

(Somewhat OT) What you didn't read on the Downtown Phoenix Journal

The following is a somewhat off-topic digression:

I like the Downtown Phoenix Journal blog and read it pretty much daily. The Journal does a nice job of tracking downtown's events and providing commentary. I also support its right to advertise products-- I have some Google ads on this site. I even look past my pet peeves about the site, namely that the picture on its front page is of midtown, not downtown Phoenix, and that it aggressively pushes renaming the warehouse district downtown as "SoDo," and those truncated SoHo type nicknames (LoDo-Denver, SoMa- San Francisco, etc.) are passe.

But I thought it interesting that the site moderates its comments and raised an eyebrow when I tried to comment on the Journal's post about "FHA Zero Down- Until Sept. 30," and apparently my comment was rejected. The Journal was encouraging borrowers to take advantage of the last few days of the FHA no-money down loans. As the economy crashes down around us due to people getting into loans they couldn't pay back-- and the active government encouragement of such-- I thought this post was misplaced. I wanted to politely point that out. Anyway, here's what I tried to say (roughly, as I'm paraphrasing from memory):

"Love the blog and support your right to advertise. But at this point, with the economy in its current state, do we really need any more people getting into zero-money down loans?"

I thought it was pretty innocuous. But apparently the powers that be at the Downtown Phoenix Journal didn't agree. Your thoughts?

No comments: